Sunday, April 23, 2006

Spurgeon Gold: Pure. Refined. (by Ray Comfort)


This book is a compilation of quotes from Charles Spurgeon.
Ray can hardly get much credit for this book except that he chose a great man to compile quotes from. Charles Spurgeon was a great 19th Century English preacher. BUY ANYTHING THAT HE HAS WRITTEN AND READ IT. I wish I had time to say more about this incredible man of God. Read a biography or something. There are lots out there.

Another reason this book is great is because of the nature of the quotes. They are either proclamations of the gospel or convicting exhortations to Christians to share their faith. I'll show you some examples.

Preach Christ
She is a traitor to the Master who sent her if she is so beguiled by the beauties of taste and forgets that to "preach Christ...and him crucified" is the only object for which she exists among the sons of men. The business of the Church is salvation of souls.


By all means, save some
Save some, O Christians! By all means, save some. From yonder flames and outer darkness,
and the weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, seek to save some! Let this, as in the case of the apostle, be your great, ruling object in life: that by all means, you might save some.

The Call of God
If God has called you to be a missionary, your Father would be grieved for you to shrivel down into a king.


The Preparation of the Law
I do not believe that any man can preach the gospel who does not preach the law.


Here is a good one!

Some People's Eyes
I shall never forget one summer afternoon, when I was preaching in a village chapel about the joys of Heaven, that an elderly lady sitting on my right kept looking to me with intense delight. Some people�s eyes greatly help the preacher[1]. A telegraph goes on between us. She seemed to say to me, "Bless God for that. How I am enjoying it!" She kept drinking in the truth, and I poured out more and more precious things about the eternal kingdom and the sight of the Well beloved, till I saw what I thought was a strange light pass over her face. I went on, and those eyes were still fixed on me. She sat still as a marble figure, and I stopped and said, "Friends, I think that yon sister over there is dead." They said that it was even so, and they bore her away. She had gone. While I was telling of Heaven, she had gone there; and I remember saying that I wished that it had been my case as well as hers. It was better not, perhaps, for many reasons; but oh, I did envy her! I am always looking for the day when I shall see her again. I shall know those eyes, I am sure I shall.

I love this book.

1 Comments:

Blogger amac said...

That is gold. and focused on the gospel, the only task of the church.
Sweet.. and yeh, it's now a goal in my life to kill someone with the sweetness of heaven.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home